The army is known to have its own pre-described rules and regulations for each and everything. What a normal citizen might be thinking of unimportance, they also regulate that thing according to their rules.
Did you know that wristwatches of US soldiers need to be conservative?
While these do’s and don’ts for almost everything create an air of turbulence for the wannabe soldiers or even the serving soldiers sometimes, we have simplified answers to all your queries of army watch regulation in the prospect of AR 670-1.
- 1 What is Army Regulation 670-1?
- 2 What are the allowed accessories?
- 3 The detailed US Army Wristwatch Regulations
- 4 What are the army-approved watches?
- 5 Wrapping up…
- 5.1 Bonus: List of Top 7 Best Selling Watches for Soldiers
- 5.1.1 SUUNTO Core, All Black
- 5.1.2 AVTREK Mens Outdoor Sport Tactical Survival Watches Hiking Digital Wrist Watch Smart Swimming Military Army Altimeter Barometer Compass Watches
- 5.1.3 Garmin 010-02064-00 Instinct, Rugged Outdoor Watch with GPS, Features Glonass and Galileo, Heart Rate Monitoring and 3-Axis Compass, Graphite
- 5.1.4 Timex Men's T42571 Expedition Camper Gray Nylon Strap Watch
- 5.1.5 The Concise Guide to Military Timepieces 1880-1990
- 5.1.6 SEIKO Men's SNK809 SEIKO 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Black Canvas Strap
- 5.1.7 Military Analog Wrist Watch for Men, Mens Army Tactical Field Sport Watches Work Watch, Outdoor Casual Quartz Wristwatch - Imported Japanese Movement, 5ATM Waterproof
- 5.1 Bonus: List of Top 7 Best Selling Watches for Soldiers
What is Army Regulation 670-1?
It is the Army Regulations law for the wear and appearance of army uniforms and insignia. The regulations regarding wristwatches come in section 4 of chapter 3 “Appearance and grooming policies” which deals with rules for the wear of jewelry. It is because wristwatches are a piece of jewelry in the army context.
Before going to the in-depth description of the way wrist watches are allowed, take a look at what is and what is not allowed.
What are the allowed accessories?
Following are the simplified bullet points from the AR 670-1 chapter 1, section 4, paragraph A. All these rules apply to both the soldiers appearing in uniforms and the soldiers appearing in civilian clothes on duty.
- Soldiers can wear wristwatches in uniforms.
- Commanders can restrict soldiers from wearing a wristwatch for safety/health or any other reason.
- It is allowed to wear pedometers and activity trackers.
- Only one item can be worn on each wrist.
- Soldiers must wear conservative(according to certain criteria) pieces of jewelry or monitors
- They can also wear a conservative identification bracelet and 2 rings.
The detailed US Army Wristwatch Regulations
Da pam 670-1 watches
We have said above that any trackers or jewelry worn by soldiers needs to be conservative. Here, conservative implies that it needs to fall in the certain criteria set by the commander.
This regulation of criteria can be subjective based on situation, uniform, or choice of commander. Here, in regards to US military watch standard issue, we have listed standard conservative requirements of a soldier’s wristwatch.
Let’s dive into it.
While there are exceptions to the regulations for a wristwatch size, it is better advised to wear standard watches that are neither too large nor too small. The size must be between 30mm to 50mm.
What color watch is allowed to wear on duty? This is one of the common questions that perplex every mind of wannabe soldiers. There are no explicit watch color regulations; however conservatives guidelines help filter some colors as a safety parameter. It saves the soldier from being noticed and complained about by higher rank conservative officers.
Mostly, watches of color that imitate the color of soldier’s equipment are preferred. These are generally black, khaki, dark green, coyote, olive, and camo colors. It is better to avoid watches of red, blue, yellow or pink.
Stainless Steel Watches
Generally, these are okay to wear as the army has an extended tradition to stainless steel watches before digital watches were introduced. In addition, black watches (PVD) are also acceptable.
However, its reflective dials might put the soldier in question. Also, these watches have more of a ‘jewelry’ profile because of the steel bracelet but it can be minimized by replacing the bracelet with a leather band.
Digital watches (plastic made)
Digital watches are also the type of watches permitted in the army. It has a combination of solid colors on the watch case and dial. These watches are allowed as long as that combination is not too attractive for the soldier to be called a liberal.
What are the army-approved watches?
As you are now aware of the army watch regulations, you might be wondering about the available army-approved watches in the market. So, watches by Timex, G-shock, and Casio are in general safe to wear. Some of the best tactical watches for military use include Casio Men’s Casual Watch, Casio Men’s G-Shock, and Men’s Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical Watch
Military is conservative and so are the allowed watches for soldiers. The soldiers in the US army abide by this certain code of conduct for watches. With this ultimate guide of army watch regulations, we hope that you have left your confusions far off. However, army regulations on smartwatches are under review and will be disclosed in the upcoming policy update.
Bonus: List of Top 7 Best Selling Watches for Soldiers
- Suunto Core: This classic outdoor sports watch is packed with intelligent features like a Storm Alarm, Altimeter, Barometer and compass to keep you informed of conditions while you hike, bike, or camp
- Essential for Adventure: This watch has dual times, a date display, and alarm, plus predicted times for sunrise and sunset to help maximize your daylight hours and a depth meter accurate up to 30 feet
- Suunto Sports Watches: Versatile and durable, Suunto sports watches are great for running, swimming, cycling, gym workouts, hiking, and other outdoor sports; Whatever your needs, Suunto has a watch for you
- Adventure Starts Here: Combining Scandinavian design with ultra durable materials, our watches track your sports, daily activity, and sleep to help you keep life, training and recovery in balance
- Authentic Heritage: Founded in 1936, Suunto brings over 80 years of high quality heritage craftsmanship, relentless accuracy, and pioneering innovation to our watches, compasses, and dive products
AVTREK Mens Outdoor Sport Tactical Survival Watches Hiking Digital Wrist Watch Smart Swimming Military Army Altimeter Barometer Compass Watches
- Summary of main functions: Pedometer, Calories, Countdown timer, Metronome,Altitude measurement, Atmospheric pressure measurement. Compass, Dual Time, 2 sets of alarm, 12/24H Format, Date/Week, Hourly Chime, 50M waterproof ,Super Backlight.
- Digital Compass: The compass which is accurate, it’s a great sports watch for hiking or outdoor activities and wilderness survival.we will calibrated the compass during production. But it’s better calibrate it automatically or manually before you use it.
- Barometer ,Altimeter and Weather Forecast: Barometer shows local pressure and sea level pressure, Altimeter tells current altitude and 24-hour history by trend graph. 4 weather forecast symbols indicates the predicated weather. (units can be switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius)
- Outdoors Military tactical Watch: it can be used for tactical training, hiking,swimming or any outdoor sports. great looking with military style. This is both technological and tactical for a long battery watch.
- Material & Size: it’s solid, durable and rugged case, diameter 50.0mm/1.96inch, durable and breathable nylon band with stainless steel buckle,and suitable for wrist from 7.08 to9.45 inches, big watch face with large numbers. Easy for time reading.
Garmin 010-02064-00 Instinct, Rugged Outdoor Watch with GPS, Features Glonass and Galileo, Heart Rate Monitoring and 3-Axis Compass, Graphite
- Rugged GPS watch built to withstand the toughest environments
- Constructed to U.S. Military standard 810G for thermal, shock and water resistance (rated to 100 meters)
- Built in 3 axis compass and barometric altimeter, plus multiple global navigation satellite systems (GPS, Glonass and Galileo) support helps track in more challenging environments than GPS alone
- Monitor your estimated heart rate, activity and stress; Train with preloaded activity profiles. Strap material: Silicone
- Stay connected with smart notifications (with a compatible smartphone) and automatic data uploads to the Garmin connect online fitness community
- Adjustable gray-green 20mm nylon strap fits up to 8-inch wrist circumference
- Black dial with date window at 3 o'clock; full Arabic numerals
- Gray 39mm resin case with acrylic lens
- Indiglo light-up watch dial; luminous hands
- Water resistant to 50m (165 ft): In general, suitable for short periods of recreational swimming, but not diving or snorkeling
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Hardcover Book
- Wesolowski, Z (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 192 Pages - 11/11/1999 (Publication Date) - The Crowood Press UK (Publisher)
- To the start the watch initially, swing from side to side in a horizontal arc about 30 seconds.
- 37 mm stainless steel case and Hardlex mineral dial window and Precise 21-jewel automatic movement with analog display
Military Analog Wrist Watch for Men, Mens Army Tactical Field Sport Watches Work Watch, Outdoor Casual Quartz Wristwatch - Imported Japanese Movement, 5ATM Waterproof
- 【JAPANESE MOVEMENT】 Imported Japanese quartz analog movement and battery, provides accurate time keeping and long term running.
- 【5ATM WATER RESISTANT】 Suitable for hand washing, swimming and raining wear, but NOT shower, diving or snorkeling. Perfect for all kind of daily use.
- 【12/24HR TIME】 12/24-Hour military analog time with date window makes this watch very easy to read.
- 【MILITARY GRADE】 Anti-scratch mineral dial window and tough stainless steel case for high durability.
- 【INSTRUCTION】 The watch crown has two positions: all the way out to adjust the time, and half way out to adjust the date. Watch hands will be luminous for minutes after being exposed to strong light for a while.