Seiko is the most sought-after watch for divers and scuba adventurers. Find here a vintage dive watch Seiko 6309-7290 Review with complete details on its Pros and Cons.
Since the inception of Seiko, it has become so popular in the world of horology. However, the particular collection that is highly prominent is its series of the Seiko 6309, also known as the Seiko Turtle.
It is undeniable that the Seiko 6309 line successfully resulted in the up-gradation of its 6105 movements by creating a more functional and durable timepiece that can last for a lifetime.
All the Seikoholic and regular watch enthusiasts can tell you that the brand offers an extensive catalog of dive watches. But none of the models can be as exquisite as its Seiko 6309-7290 version.
It’s a perfect watch buddy for both novice and professional divers. So, if you’re looking for a vintage dive watch to use on your next diving adventure or if you only want to wear a casual yet sturdy watch, then this top-notch Seiko 6309-7290 will not disappoint; that also comes at a very affordable price.
Interesting Facts about Seiko:
- Seiko is a Japanese watch brand that uses a 6309 caliber self-winding mechanical movement.
- It cannot be manually wound.
- If you pull out the crown, the second hand will not stop, giving it a smoother movement.
- The secondhand ticks six times per second than the other quartz watches that tick one-time per second.
- The watch runs for up to straight 47 hours when fully wound and will self-wind when moved.
- Although the production had stopped long ago, back in 1988, there’s no more refreshed version of “SDEB37 / Turtle”. But still, its vintage models are the most sought-after among the Seiko fans for their scuba diving adventure because of their vast popularity.
- The Seiko 6309-7290 is currently ranking #64 in popularity out of 751 watches in this catalog from the brand’s effort.
- As noted, this watch is not available for buying on any of the .com sites.
Seiko day and date wheel not only feature a combination of English/Kanji because of its original version for the Japanese market. But you will also find:
- Many more combinations
Full specifications are listed below.
General Info about Seiko 6309-7290
- Brand: Seiko
- Popularity: #64 out of 751
- Style: Vintage
- Gender: Men’s
- Type: Automatic
- Power Reserve: 47 Hours
- Manual Winding: No
- Case Width: 41mm (without crown)
- Case Dimension: 45 mm
- Case Thickness: 13mm
- Case Shape: Round
- Case Material: Stainless Steel
- Case Code: 7290
- Crystal Material: Hardlex
- Water Resistance: 150 Meters
- Crown Position: 4 o’clock
- Screw Down Crown: Yes
- Second Hand: Yes
- Minute Hand: Yes
- Hour Hand: Yes
- Weekday Window: Yes
- Date Window: Yes
- Hour Hand: Silver
- Minute Hand: Silver
- Second Hand: Silver
- Band Width: 22mm
- Band Color: Black
- Dial Color: Black
- Dial Reference: 735N
- Hour Markings: Bars and Circles
- Dial Numerals: No numerals
- Bezel Color: Black
- Bezel Function: Bidirectional
- Bezel Material: Stainless Steel
- On the Bezel: Minute Numbering
You May Also Read, Best Seiko Field Watches of 2022
The Seiko 6309-7290 Dive Watch Features:
The original factory version of the Seiko 6390 case comes with two large-size variants. It measures approximately 45mm in width (41mm wide without the crown), 48mm in length, and 13mm in thickness with water-resistant up to 150 meters.
It features stunning and classy sharp lines and displays:
- A comfortable timepiece to wear
- A circular brushing on the upper part
While a straight brush on the bottom part
Another best feature of Seiko 6309-7290’s is its crown, which screws down and prevents it from pulling out underwater. The crown is attached with a two-piece spring-loaded stem and is horizontally attached to the watch’s case.
Note: the crown tube is non-replaceable. Never strip out because it is not to be fixed.
The good thing about Seiko 6309-7290 bezel features a 60-click, bi-directional, and non-locking/removable bezel that you can replace. It displays:
- A black-painted aluminum bezel
- A deep-set round pip
- A silver marking
- A deep-set round pip
The Seiko 6309 dive watch has a stunning black dial that can be distinguished even at first glance. The dial features:
- Round hour markers
- Bell-shaped hour markers at 6 & 9 o’clock
- Two-piece rounded triangular 12 o’clock marker
- Instead of a 3 o’clock marker, it shows a rectangular window featuring day and date
Hardlex Crystal and Hands
The Seiko 6309-7290 dive watch is equipped with a Hardlex crystal. It is well-crafted to cover and protect the timepiece’s dial from any slight scratches to every possible damage.
The hour and minute hands of the Seiko 6309-7290 diver watch feature:
- Metallic materials that display a silver-hued
- A huge lumen in the middle of the watch
While the secondhand features a lumen dot near the outer finish.
The weekday window shows the day of the week in two languages; English with Spanish/ Arabic/ Kanji/ French or Roman Numerals.
Note: In most of the models, SUNDAY displays as red. While on some models, SATURDAY will be blue.
The date window shows the date of the month.
Note: Some watches may get damaged if you change the date between 8:00 to 2:00 AM. So, in this case, first, you should change the time outside this range, adjust the date and then reset the time. Check your watch manual for details.
The Seiko 6309-7290 dive watch featured a straight silicone rubber compound. That is available in the long and short black bracelet. The straps are well-crafted from:
- 11 adjustment holes
- 3 vents separated by its flat ridges
- 3 offset rows
- An unattached strap-guard
Final Thoughts On Seiko 6309-7290
While there is a wide variety of dive watches in the Seiko brand collection, nothing beats its vintage series of the Seiko 6309 dive series, particularly its 6309-7290 version.
These Seiko 6309-7920 dive watches are the true definition of durability and functionality with their impressive robust attributes. For sure, there is no question why many horologists and watch collectors desire this iconic scuba diving watch and why it remains a hot favorite in the vintage realm.